The Turkish thank you!
#Manisa Turkish# One of the best grammar explanation websites out on the web for Turkish Language Learners.
- Teşekkür ederim Thank you this is used in all normal situations. The reply for teşekkür ederim is Bir şey değil or Rica ederim You are welcome.
- sağol [familiar] or sağolun [polite] [Lit: Health to you.] equates to thank you but is more sincere than Teşekkür ederim.
sen de sağ ol is the response for sağ ol and siz de sağ olun is the reponse to sağ olun.
The difference in usage of teşekkür ederim thank you and the more sincere sağ olun stay healthy.
sağ ol [familiar]
sağ olun [polite and/or singular]
sağ olunuz [public and/or plural]
A simple teşekkürler also means a very informal thanks and is used in shops and for small duties performed.
What are the services being rendered to us?
- Use sağ olun be healthy, be strong is used as thank you for a service which:
A - Did necessarily needed to be performed.
B - For someone who has gone out of his way to help you.
- Many tourists use sağ olun wrongly instead of using teşekkür ederim.
- They copy the boy waiter's way of thanking as the waiters often use sağ olun for misguided effect.
- The rule is: if in doubt then use teşekkür ederim.
Turkish "thank you" Scenarios.
The waiter puts a nice meal in front of you. Your thank you is teşekkür ederim it is his job.
The waiter puts a bottle of wine in front of you. Your thank you is teşekkür ederim it is his job.
Then the waiter uncorks the bottle of wine and pours it in your glass. Your thank you is sağ olun he need not have performed this service.
You ask someone the time. He looks at his watch and says "Half past three".
Your answer is sağ olun [You have caused him to perform a service to you.]
You drop your handkerchief a stranger picks it up and hand it to you.
Your answer is sağ olun [He need not have done it.]
Turkish answer to "thank you"
The answer to teşekkür ederim is bir şey değil It is nothing or rica ederim I request! [same as "bitte schön" in German]
Also used is ne demek? what does it mean?. This expression ne demek? sounds quite comical in English. But it actually means something like: It doesn't matter at all. The answer Rica ederim is the politest one. The recipient of your gratitude will often answer your sen sağol with the rejoinder sen de sağol health to you too. Other forms are sen de sağ ol or quite short siz de or sen de you too
Turkish Daily Talk
- Günaydın Good morning
- İyi akşamlar Good evening
- İyi geceler Good night
- In English the expressions Good evening and Good night are singular. In Turkish they are plural
[as is the Spanish Buenos Dias.]