Turkish Demonstratives "this, that one, these, those ones"
Demonstrative Adjectives: "this, these, that, those"
- Describe and demonstrate a particular noun:
- "This house" is red.
- "Those children" are young.
- Demonstrative Adjectives are invariable in Turkish and cannot be suffixed.
Demonstrative Pronouns: "this one, that one, these ones, those ones"
- Stand in place of a particular noun:
- "This" is red.
- "This one" is red.
- "Those" are young.
- "Those ones" are young.
- Turkish Demonstrative Pronouns can be suffixed.
- bu this (here)
OR this just mentioned.
- bunlar these
- şu that (nearby)
OR that (which follows)
- şunlar those (nearby)
- o that (over there, yonder)
- onlar those (yonder)
Turkish Demonstrative Simple Forms:
- bu, şu, o this, that, that yonder
- bu kedi this cat
- şu fincan that cup
- [near to, between us]
- o adam that man
- [over there, yonder]
Turkish has two words for "that, those"
When suffixing demonstratives the buffer letter -n- is always used.
The plurals are bunlar şunlar onlar
About Turkish Demonstrative - şu şunlar, o onlar
Şu that [nearby] →
plural şunlar those [between]
Şu signifies something "near by" or "between" the speakers.
Şu also means "that which follows" →
şu tavsiye the following recommendation.
Care must be taken using şu and its extensions:
It is also used in a derogatory sense:
- Şu adama bakın!
- Look at that bloke!
- Şunu istemedim
- I didn't want that!
- Şu herif kim?
- Who the hell is that fellow?
- O that [over there] →
- plural onlar those [yonder]
- O signifies items far away or which does not lie between the speakers.
- O is used for happenings in foreign countries and cities.
Turkish Demonstrative Adjective in Questions şu ne? What's that?
- Şu ne? What is that? [just there]
- O bir gazete. That is a newspaper.
Şu bir gazete is incorrect and cannot be used in answers.
The Suffixed Forms of the Turkish Pronouns
Turkish Demonstrative Pronouns can be suffixed:
- Onu bana ver!
- Give me that one!
- Bunlardan bir tane alin.
- Take one from these.
- Şunlara çok gülüyorum!
- I'm really laughing at those ones!
Turkish Demonstrative bu this
|buna||to this||bunlara||to these|
|bunun||of this||bunların||of these|
|bunu||this (object)||bunları||these (obj.)|
|bunda||in/on/at this||bunlarda||in/etc. these|
|bundan||from this||bunlardan||from these|
|bununla||with this||bunlarla||with these|
Turkish Demonstrative Şu that, that there
|şuna||to that||şunlara||to those|
|şunun||of that||şunların||of those|
|şunu||that (object)||şunları||those (obj.)|
|şunda||in/on/at that||şunlarda|| on those|
|şundan||from that||şunlardan||from those|
|şununla||with that||şunlarla||with those|
Turkish Demonstrative O that over there
|o||that yonder||onlar||those yonder|
|ona||to that||onlara||to those|
|onun||of that||onların||of those|
|onu||that (object)||onları||those (obj.)|
|onda||in/on/at that||onlarda||on those|
|ondan||from that||onlardan||from those|
|onunla||with that||onlarla||with those|
The Turkish Demonstrative suffix -ca concerning
- bunca all this
- bunlarca all these
- onca all that
- onlarca all those
- şunca all that
and şunlarca all those are only used disparagingly.
Ne demek olduğu şunlarca anlaşılmamıştır?
What do you mean that all those have not been understood?
- bu kedilerthese cats
- o kediler. those cats
- The meanings of bunca and onca are plural but only used with a singular object.
- bunca kedi all these cats
- onca kedi all those cats
- bunca / onca replaces bu kadar / o kadar all this / that amount of..
- Bunca emeğim boşa gitti.
All this work of mine was in vain.
- Bunca kitabı, kitaplıkta dursunlar diye mi aldın?
Did you buy all these books (just) to fill the bookcase?
- Bunca arkadaşımın arasından onu mu beğendin?
Between all these friends of mine, was it (only) him you liked?
- Bunca yıldır bu okuldayım, böyle olay görmedim.
I was at this school all these years and I have not seen such a thing (before).
- Bunca kediyi nasıl besleyeceksin ki?
How do you feed all these cats?
The Turkish Demonstrative Reducing suffix "-cik"
Şuncacik, yaradan ölmezsin.
You won't die from such a small wound.
Adverbial Forms of the Demonstratives
bu, şu, o produce the adverbs böyle, şöyle, öyle
böyle In this way / thus
- Onu böyle yaptım I did it like this
- böyle is usually used with the first person pronoun.
şöyle like that / in that manner
- Onu şöyle yapın! Do it like that!
- şöyle is usually used with the imperative.
öyle such as that / like that
- Onu öyle yaptı He did it like that!
- öyle is used with past tense as it is more distant.
The -ce suffix is also used with adverbs:
- böylece In this way / thus
şöylece is not in general use. öylece such as that / like that
The ce suffix give a sense of completion:
Böylece iş tamamlandı. The job was completed thus(ly).
Turkish usage of böyle, öyle
Böyle bir iş yapmayın!
Don't do anything like (this) that!
Turkish uses bu and böyle for a specific actions - such as "washing the car"
Böylece onu yapın! for English: Do it that way!
- şöyle böyle just so so
- [Lit: like that, like this]
- [as French "comme ci comme ca"]
When asked How are you? then şöyle böyle can be given as an answer:
"So so, I'm up and down, I'm getting on OK."
Öyle bir sağanak yağmur yağdı ki sırılsıklam ıslandım.
There was such a downpour that I got sopping wet.
"Formula Speak" Öyle mi?
- This idiom is often used in conversation.
Öyle mi? Well I never!, Really?